Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Food for thought...

I thought the title would be a fun to tell about my first baby class as a future mom. Last night, I went to an intro to breast feeding class with Delana. Delana is due April 18, but pretty sure she is going to pop sooner than later (so excited!!! she is having a baby boy - possibly my future son-in-law...baby girl has a few suiters already and she isn't even here. Hope she is happy with mom's choice.) Anyway, we met up at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital, which neither of us chose to deliver at but the location is ideal for a meet-up. We found our way to the meeting room to find the instructor and one other couple in the room...and the instructor was having technical difficulties with her computer connection, and ended up forgoing on the use of the computer entirely. A couple other couples and moms started to arrive, and class started up. The first thing we came to know about Irene, our instructor, is that she is a HUGE proponent of breast feeding not only because of the healthy aspects of it but also because she nursed her kids...but that's not the most impressive thing about Irene...she nursed her baby girl for 10 months and her baby boy for two and a half years!!!!!!!!! Both Delana and I were pretty sure that if our kids can walk and talk...and have teeth...that there is no way we will still be nursing but rather heading to the grocery store and grabbing some steak for them to chew on, but to each their own opinion.

Shortly after all the introductions, we got a introduction to the breast anatomy. Interesting...then came the nipple. She had a boob stuffed toy that she used to demonstrate a regular nipple, and with the tug of a string an inverted nipple. Again, interesting...then she started the video. This video was probably seen by our mothers...or maybe our parents are in the video because there was bog hair, big glasses, mustaches on the men and oversized blouses on the women. One would think, they would have updated the video in 20 years, but I guess the techniques are still the same - no need to spend the money just to make the people look good. And really, the video was great. I don't think I have ever seen a woman nurse before. I'm pretty sure I learned a few things...I won't go into detail about this part, but let's just say I will follow the 4 P's (patience, perseverance, progress...guess I only remember 3 of them, but the video made me think I was ready for this) and make it through the hard first couple days, and the baby will grow to have many health benefits from my milk (and let's not forget the economic benefit for both me and mike). Hoping the other classes like baby basics, baby cpr, and breathing leave me feeling prepared as well...we will see.

And that's the latest on Baby Girl Pumphrey. Next week, I will probably write about our doctors appointment which is scheduled for next Tuesday, but for now I will leave you with the thoughts of boobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment