Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Latest doctor's appointment and 'babymoon'

Our last appointment, the 30 week-er, was supposed to be last Tuesday, but I rescheduled it due to work (a good thing, I promise!). I ended up meeting up with Dr. Larsen last Thursday. It was exactly 1 hour and 12 minutes long...how do I know the exact time, well, they gave me a 60-minute timer right when I got into the exam room, and I am always looking at the time in the waiting room. Anyway, why was a timer given to me? I had a test. My glucose test. I would not describe this as enjoyable, but I also wouldn't put it in the horrible category - I would say it was just unpleasant. They gave me 5 minutes to down a small plastic cup of orange flavored juice. The juice was more like orange soda minus the carbonated soda water, just the flavored syrup. You can bet I was wishing I had my toothbrush after downing it, but I had to wait. And did I wait - an hour. I got my weight in (lower than average, but perfect for the baby, YAY!), my blood pressure taken (which I was told was "like you aren't even pregnant" I am going to say, that's a good thing), and waited some more. Once the 60-minute timer went off, they took a few vials of blood to test the sugar and other levels - and I got a shot. I am A- blood type, so as a preventative for other babies Mike and I might have in the future, I had to get an Rh factor shot...in the left butt cheek. It hurt. They keep the medicine in the fridge, so they warned me beforehand that it would sting - and that it did, but I am a trooper when it comes to needles.

The trick is not to look when they poke you, and to continue talking to the person administering the injection. I promise I warn these folks that I have to talk to get through the shot...they usually seem ok with it. I guess if I were a nurse I would rather have someone talk my ear off about the weather or their dog or even their new shoes than to hear anyone cry or whimper due to the necessity of getting a shot. I will teach Baby Pea the same techniques - you know this little girl is going to be a talker!

Oh, and her heart rate was 148. Doctor said it's fine that it went below 150 - I, of course, got a little nervous since every other appointment it has been higher. She said that as the baby gets bigger and space gets tighter that it is only natural that the heartbeat will drop a little. We would only be concerned if it went below 130. She is in the cradle position low in my belly, so doctor said she is making my pregnancy easy because if she were higher it would be more difficult to breathe, but her position to me makes for long nights and many potty breaks along with a little difficulty bending over.

That's my appointment, but here's the best part about the last week - baseball and old friends. Each year for the past 6 years I have been a part of handling a special group party at the office, and this year I got to show off the belly...I think there were more hands on my belly that ever before! The comment that was made was, "...and to think I knew you before you were even engaged..." To fun! It happened all week long during the Rangers home stand. It made me pretty proud of our clients and made me realize that our clients choose us because we are a lot like them - we are all so personable.

Now onto the fun! Work is over this lovely Monday in 15 minute, and when it is over my weekend begins! Tomorrow Mike and I head out to Illinois for Mike's brother's wedding. Our day will start probably with some last minute packing, then playing with Boscoe and taking him on the longest journey of his life...to Dallas. We are sending our little boy to Paws 4 Paradise, a beautiful doggy boarding place complete with his own 4x11' suite and a dog bone shaped pool, cuddle time, recess and nightly bedtime brushing. What a spoiled little guy. It was actually a groupon deal or we probably wouldn't be setting him up in such accommodations. Needless to say, once we get there we will tour the place with Boscoe to transition him into the facility, say our good-byes and head to the airport to fly to St. Louis to meet up with family where we will then venture to Washington, Illinois...and from there the fun begins, but this post ends. More to come when I return from our last vacation as two to watch two become one!

Lots of love,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment